Frequently Asked Questions ~



Q: Where can I get a brief overview of USAREC and Recruiting duty?


Q: Where can I get the current forms and documents required for my recruiting packet?
A: Volunteers:
DA Selectees:


Q: What is the difference between a DA Selected Recruiter and a Volunteer Recruiter?
A: DA Selected Recruiters are NCOs whose branches have nominated them for duty as Recruiters. Each MOS branch is responsible for assigning Soldiers to special duties such as Recruiter. If you meet the criteria, you could very well be DA Selected for this assignment. There is a similar program for selecting Drill Sergeants. Volunteer Recruiters on the other hand, complete a volunteer recruiter packet and send it to USAREC's Recruit the Recruiter team for review. Once all requirements are met the respective branch is notified. Please note that even if a volunteer packet is approved by USAREC branches make the final decision to release or not release Soldiers to USAREC.

Q: How do new Recruiter assignments work?
CONUS- G1 Assignments Team emails the Assignment Preference Map and a Consideration Sheet to CONUS DA Selects and Volunteers 30 days prior to the school date to be returned within 5 days. G1 Assignments Team begins contacting CONUS DA Selects and Volunteers via phone call 2-3 weeks prior to school date and places them in their BN (2-digit RSID). G1 Assignments Team briefs each class during week one on the assignment process and gives SM their assigned recruiting station (4-digit RSID). All CONUS Soldiers must have 36 months of service remaining from their report date to their recruiting station. Soldiers must meet this requirement before beginning the assignment process. OCONUS- G1 Assignments Team emails the OCONUS Assignment Packet to OCONUS DA Selects and Volunteers once they have been assigned a school date to be returned 120 days before DEROS. OCONUS Soldiers will PCS and report to their station first and then attend the course. All OCONUS Soldiers must have 42 months of service remaining from their report date to their recruiting station. Soldiers must meet this requirement before beginning the assignment process.


Q: What does the Recruiter Background Investigation (RBI) consist of?
The RBI consists of the following checks:

1) OMPF - NCOERs and Restricted Fiche
2) CFSC - Family advocacy
3) TIG
4) EO
5) CCF (Central Clearance Facility) - US Army INSCOM sends out checks to multiple agencies
6) Favorable National Agency Check with Law and Credit (NACLC)


Q: I went to the Assignment Satisfaction Key program (ASK) and volunteered. Now they tell me that I am a DA-select. Why?
In order for you to be considered as a volunteer, you must have submitted an original volunteer application to the Recruit the Recruiter Team at Fort Knox (not your Branch Manager). This application must have been submitted prior to being placed on DA-select orders. If you did submit an original volunteer application prior to being DA-selected, you will then be considered as a volunteer.


Q: Can you explain how I will transition into USAREC, both from a CONUS or OCONUS assignment?
A: CONUS based Soldiers: (1) go to the Army Recruiting Course (ARC) TDY and return to their parent unit, (2) with or without dependents, PCS and report to their new recruiting battalion;
OCONUS based Soldiers: (1) with or without dependents, PCS to their assigned recruiting center first, (2) at first feasible school date, go to the ARC TDY, returning to their recruiting center once completing the ARC. Exceptions are granted in exceptional circumstances.


Q: Are there any resources available to assist me during my PCS to USAREC?
A: To begin planning your move, you can take advantage of a great resource called "Plan My Move". For more information, please go to


Q: Where will I live while I am a Recruiter?
A: Housing is your decision. You can rent, buy or if you are located near a military installation, apply for quarters. You may also take advantage or Government Leased Housing. For more information on GLH, please go to Your sponsor can send you housing information well in advance. So you can get a preview of costs and locations. It is recommended that you live near your assigned recruiting station.


Q: I attended a Recruit the Recruiter presentation over a year ago but I did not complete the application. I have been DA-selected. Can I still be considered as a volunteer?
A: NO. Attendance at a Recruit the Recruiter brief does not make you a volunteer. You must have submitted an original volunteer application within the last six months.


Q: I contacted the battalion that I want to recruit from and I got a letter of acceptance. Does this guarantee the assignment?
A: NO, it does not. The battalions do not grant the assignments. All of our assignments are given at the USAREC, G1. Letters of acceptance are not  issued. After you have received the battalion level assignment from the Assignments Team, then you can contact that battalion to work on company/center level pin-point assignment.


Q: I have always been a successful Soldier, can I be certain that my success will continue in USAREC?
A: Your success will continue! Upon completion of the Army Recruiting Course (ARC), you will be trained and ready to perform your duties as a Recruiter. However, your training will not end with the ARC. You will be placed in a six month transitional program, called the New Recruiter Program. These six months are non-rated, allowing you time to become proficient in the eight recruiting functions of a Recruiter.


Q: Where will my dependents go for medical/dental/emergency support?
A: As a Recruiter, you will use TRICARE Prime if you're located next to a military installation or TRICARE Prime Remote if you are not located near a military installation. Each recruiting battalion has a Health Care Advisor that will brief you upon arrival and show you how your family's medical needs will be met.


Q: Will I be able to change my MOS to 79R if I want to remain a Recruiter longer than the standard three year tour?
A: You can request to convert to MOS 79R as early as 15 months as a recruiter, but in most instances you must have 24 months or more. You will receive appropriate counseling from your chain-of-command should you decide to convert. This is a career decision that you must make. If you choose not to convert or if your conversion is denied you will complete your three year tour and return to you MOS.

Q: I am currently on assignment orders or in a fenced unit. Is it possible to be selected for recruiting duty for initial volunteers or for prior recruiters?                                                                                                                                                                                                                               A: If you are already on assignment orders, you will have to PCS and wait 12 months prior to submitting application to recruiting duty or requesting conversion to 79R. However, it is strongly recommended that you contact your Branch manager and explain your intent to volunteer for recruiting duty or convert to 79R to see if they will agree to take you off of assignment. In order to be released from a fenced unit, you will need to get a DA4187 requesting fence release approved by your BDE CDR


Q: I am not sure if I am qualified, because I am a SGT (P), married with two children and I pay child support for one other child.
A: There is no limit on number of dependents. If you feel you have a strong record and have adequate spendable income, you may submit an application and it will be reviewed to determine if a waiver will be needed.


Q: I have a tattoo on my arm, will this affect my eligibility?
A: You cannot have any tattoos that may be perceived as offensive, sexist, distasteful, gang related, etc. and you must provide a photo of each tattoo that is clear in detail and clearly shows each tattoo, except those in private areas. Tattoos beyond the t-shirt collar, anywhere on the head, neck, face or wrist are not authorized with the exception of one wedding band tattoo on the ring finger below the second joint.


Q: I declared bankruptcy 6 years ago, can I apply to become a recruiter?
A: Yes, you can apply because you bankruptcy was over 3 years ago, but the bankruptcy may be a factor in your selection. You cannot have had a bankruptcy within the past 3 years, cannot have current credit problems and must have adequate discretionary income.


Q: I have a GED, can I qualify?
A: Yes

Q: What are the Time in Service (TIS) and Time in Grade (TIG) limits?
A: SGT: no less than 1 year time in grade, 4 years of time in service and no more than 9 years time in service; SSG: no more than 15 years time in service and SFC: no more than 20 years time in service (waiver authorized). Your waiver will be evaluated using the Total Soldier Concept at USAREC after a review of your completed application.


Q: I am a SSG who is 40 years old. Can I apply?
A: The age standard is: Be at least 21 years old, but not more than 39 years old at time of selection (waiver authorized up to age 45). Your waiver will be evaluated using the Total Soldier Concept at USAREC after a review of your completed application.


Q: I only have 18 months until ETS. Can I apply?
A: Yes, you can apply but you will eventually have to reenlist or extend to have 3 years of service remaining after completion of the Army Recruiting Course (ARC) for CONUS Soldiers and 3 years 6 months from the time you report to your recruiting station for OCONUS Soldiers. We do not enforce this requirement when you submit your application, but if you are selected, you will have to extend or reenlist before your orders to attend the ARC are published.


Q: I have a family member enrolled in the Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP). Can I qualify?
A: There are no established restrictions. However, you must provide a copy of your family member(s) enrollment in the EFMP with your application.


Q: I have a P3 profile and my MMRB states I can stay in the Army, but not in my PMOS. Can I apply to become a Recruiter?
A: NO. If you are required to reclassify, you are not eligible for the program. Once you have held your new MOS for one year and meet the other qualifications, you may apply.


Q: I received a summarized Article 15 last year. Can I apply?
A: An Article 15 does not preclude you from applying, but it might be a factor in your selection. For us to make a decision, you must include a copy of all Article 15s, including summarized. If you cannot find a copy of the Article 15, then include a memo explaining the charge(s) and punishment administered.


Q: I am a prior Recruiter and I would like to go back on recruiting duty. Is this possible?
A: Yes it is possible. You must meet the same prerequisites as everyone else and then provide additional documentation with your application. Prior Recruiters (previously awarded SQI 4) must include all NCOERs from the time entered into recruiting duty until present.


Q: I know my spouse must also apply and get accepted if I am enrolled in the Married Army Couples Program. What if I disenroll....Could I apply for recruiting then?

A: When you are married to another service member, both of you must volunteer, be qualified and be accepted, regardless of whether or not you are enrolled in the MACP. You may request to waive your MACP. You are agreeing to be separated from your family for the duration of your tour. Sometimes, as soon as you waive your MACP, your spouse becomes eligible for worldwide assignment.


Q: What if I am a Prior Recruiter wanting to request reclass to 79R and I am enrolled in the MACP?
A: You and your spouse must submit a volunteer packet at the same time. You both must be qualified and accepted and once in recruiting you can request to convert to MOS 79R as early as 15 months as a recruiter, but in most instances you must have 24 months or more. You will receive appropriate counseling from your chain-of-command should you decide to convert. This is a career decision that you must make. If you choose not to convert or if one of your conversion requests is denied you will complete your three year tour and return to you MOS. We will not work the conversion packet until we see that the spouse is qualified and that his/her branch will release them. Additionally you both will be required to sign a DA4856 that states that you understand that if the spouse fails to convert for any reason that you both will have to disenroll from the MACP at the end of the spouse’s TOD.


Q: Can I continue to go to school or college while on recruiting duty?
A: Yes but it is up to your chain-of-command. USAREC recommends that you utilize ArmyIgnited to continue your education as well. As a matter of fact, you will be encouraged to continue your education because it will benefit you both personally and professionally. You benefit from the education and you are also more visible to the recruiting market. Attending a college or school could put you in contact with recruiting prospects.


Q: Can I be stationed overseas as a recruiter?
A: US Army Recruiting Command does, in fact, have recruiting centers in overseas (OCONUS) locations. These assignments are not traditionally available to detail Recruiters. OCONUS locations require additional experience and training, but more importantly, assignments below the battalion level fall under the purview of the Recruiting Battalion Commander and Command Sergeant Major. FYI: Hawaii and Guam belong to Portland Recruiting Battalion; Alaska belongs to Seattle Recruiting Battalion; Europe belongs to Albany Recruiting Battalion and Puerto Rico belongs to Miami Recruiting Battalion. For more information about these assignments, please contact the Recruit the Recruiter Team.


Q: Can I get promoted or attend NCOES schools while on recruiting duty?
A: Of course you can get promoted and attend ALC or SLC, but not until completion of the 6 month New Recruiter Program. As a matter of fact, your tour as a Recruiter should help speed up the process of promotions and subsequent attendance at NCOES schools.


Q: I am deployed. Can I apply?
A: You can apply while you are deployed. You will be required to submit proof of the redeployment date, along with all other required documents.


Q: When does my Special Duty Assignment Pay (SDAP) begin?
A: Your recruiting battalion S-1 will initiate your SDAP after you have completed the ARC and you have reported to the battalion.