US Army 2nd Recruiting Brigade
The U.S. Army Recruiting Command was activated on October 1, 1964. It was made up of personnel previously assigned to the various Army recruiting services.
Third Army Recruiting Service, located at Fort McPherson, Georgia, became the Third Recruiting District responsible for the recruiting effort in the southeastern portion of the United States, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Third Recruiting District first opened its doors in a strip shopping center on Virginia Avenue in College Park and was under the command of Colonel David Benton.
In 1974, Third Recruiting District was renamed the Southeast Region Recruiting Command and shortly thereafter relocated to Building 101, Fort Gillem, Georgia.
In 1983, the command was redesignated as the U.S. Army 2nd Recruiting Brigade and, one year later, moved to Building 841, originally an Army service club built in 1942. It is officially known as McKibben Hall. The brigade had it renamed in honor of the late Sgt. Ray McKibben of Felton, Georgia. McKibben received the Medal of Honor as a member of Troop B, 7th Squadron (Airmobile), 17th Cavalry, losing his life in action in Vietnam in 1968.
On 14 October 2008, due to a BRAC decision, the U.S. Army 2d Recruiting Brigade was relocated to 3435 Snooper Road, Redstone Arsenal, Alabama 35898.
Over its nearly 40-year history, the 2d Brigade has had its boundaries changed many times to include territory as far south as the Panama Canal Zone and as far north as the Canadian border. The current area of responsibility covers all or part of 10 southeastern states plus Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.