COMMAND NEWS

 

News | Dec. 17, 2020

Recruiters safe after shots fired at North Carolina station

USAREC Public Affairs

A gunman fired shots into a recruiting station in Greensboro, North Carolina, the evening of Dec. 14, causing damage to the facility entrance but no injuries to any military personnel.

No Army personnel were in the building when the incident occurred. The damaged entrance has been fixed temporarily until more extensive renovations can be completed.

Greensboro police responded to the shooting and apprehended a suspect, who had previously applied to join the Army but did not meet the qualifications for service.

“The safety of our recruiters is always a top priority, and we are all grateful no one sustained injuries,” said Maj. Gen. Kevin Vereen, commanding general for U.S. Army Recruiting Command.

As with all Army posts and facilities, specific force protection measures are not disclosed, but the focus remains on visibility in and around the station, access control and physical protection measures.

“We are always monitoring the environment around all 1,400 recruiting stations,” Vereen said. “We ensure we have appropriate measures in place to protect the recruiting force.”

LATEST NEWS