FORT KNOX, Ky. –
The U.S. Army has temporarily delayed the movement of Future Soldiers to Basic Combat Training effective April 6.
Those who are currently in BCT and Advanced Individual Training will continue training under the screening and monitoring guidelines established last month and will proceed to their next assignments upon graduation.
This tactical pause will allow commands to ensure appropriate safety measures are in place and are operating effectively at training installations.
“The decision to pause the shipment of trainees to BCT for two weeks will allow leaders to focus on setting conditions so movement can be conducted in a safe manner in the future,” said Gen. Paul E. Funk, II, commander of the U.S. Army Training and Doctrine Command.
The two-week pause in shipping will not impact current Future Soldiers’ ability to join the Army, according to Maj. Gen. Frank Muth, commanding general for U.S. Army Recruiting Command.
“We are focusing on the health and safety of our force right now, and this will help us ensure our training bases are fully prepared to receive our new recruits in the safest way possible,” Muth said.
Muth emphasized that the pause in shipping to BCT does not mean recruiters will stop taking applications during this time.
“This pause is only for our current Future Soldiers who had already signed a contract with us,” Muth said. “Our recruiters will still be out there in the digital space working with applicants who are interested in serving in one of our 150 different career fields when the situation stabilizes.”