Warrant Officer Prerequisites and Duty Description
170A - Cyber Operations Technician
Performs as the Subject Matter Expert and advisor to the Commander and staff regarding the employment of offensive and defensive cyber operations assets and personnel. Directs, plans, administers, manages, integrates, and assesses cyberspace operations. Develops policy recommendations and provides technical guidance regarding the operation and management of Army, Joint, intergovernmental, interagency, and multi-national cyberspace assets and personnel. Integrates cyberspace effects into warfighting functions in an effort to optimize combat effectiveness. Protects the Department of Defense Information Network against foreign and domestic threat vectors in order to maintain network integrity and functionality. Leads, trains, and mentors Cyber personnel through individual and group instruction, as well as the establishment, direction, and evaluation of Standard Operating Procedures and Job Qualification Standards
Minimum Prerequisites (all general prerequisites apply):
- Be a SGT (E5) or above. (NO Active Component WAIVERS)
- BLC Graduate. (NO Active Component WAIVERS)
- Hold a current IAT / IAM Level 2 certification (Security+, etc)
- Currently hold an adjudicated TS/SCI security clearance. Failure to retain an adjudicated TS/SCI clearance by precludes you from attending WOBC and holding the MOS 170A. (NO WAIVERS)
- Documented practical experience in Cyberspace Operations in a Cyber Mission Force certified work role, Cyber Security/Computer Network Defense (CS/CND), or equivalent civilian experience.
- A minimum of three years of rated time documented in NCOERs. This is the minimum prerequisite; all NCOERs must be submitted for consideration. (NO WAIVERS FOR ACTIVE DUTY ARMY)
A letter of recommendation (LOR) from a Senior Warrant Officer (CW3-CW5) is required from a Senior Cyber Warrant Officer (170A). In the absence of an available Senior 170A - Cyber Operations Technician, the Cyber Proponent will work with the candidate to set up an interview with a Senior 170A - Cyber Operations Technician.
- TABE - Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE), Complete Battery, Level A 9/10. Complete test (not survey) with all categories. Scores required are Reading, Total Math, and Language @ 12th grade level (12.9). Applicants with an AA/S, BA/S or Master degree meet this requirement and do not require the TABE. (NO WAIVERS)
- A minimum of six semester hours of College Composition (English 100 and English 101 or equivalent English courses are the only accepted college courses) from an accredited academic institution. Speech and public speaking courses are not considered as meeting this requirement even if administered by the English department of an institution. Successful completion of the CLEP College Composition examination (not composition modular) or an Associate’s degree or higher are the only acceptable alternatives.
- Applicants with Reserve Component time must submit official documentation in order to properly compute the length of Active Federal Service. Documentation may be a DA Form 1506 (i.e., Statement of Service), an official memorandum (on unit letterhead) signed by the unit S1, or similar documentation (e.g., RPAM statement).
- ALC Graduate
- Hold an associate degree or higher from an accredited college or university.
NOTE 1: Although not a requirement or prerequisite, technical certifications and National Cryptologic School credit also add great weight to the overall strength of the packet and should be cited in the resume and included in the packet. A few examples include: CASP, CEH, CISSP, CCNA, and MCSE.
NOTE 2: Applicants from other military services (Air Force, Marine Corps, and Navy) who can substantiate their qualifications with performance evaluations, awards, and certificates are encouraged to apply for MOS 170A. Please contact the proponent POC below only for questions regarding any qualifications. Address all other inquiries to the Warrant Officer Recruiting Branch: email@example.com.
NOTE 3: Reserve Component Only: Waiver requests for SPC/E4s and/or for the minimum of three NCOER's will be considered on a case-by-case base. Such waivers will be considered if the candidate has documented comparable managerial or leadership experience in the government service and/or civilian sector.
NOTE 4: Any waiverable prerequisites not met will require a prerequisite waiver to be approved by Proponent. Be advised that submitting a prerequisite waiver does not constitute automatic approval.
Direct all warrant application inquiries to USAREC Warrant Officer Recruiting Team at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact the proponent POC below for questions regarding Cyber prerequisite qualifications.
CW4 Brian D. Matthews
Warrant Officer Personnel Developer (Proponent) Office Chief of Cyber U.S. Army Cyber Center of Excellence & Fort Gordon
COMM: (706) 791-4939
DSN: (312) 780-4939
Warrant Officer Force Integration Specialist (Proponent)
Office Chief of Cyber
U.S. Army Cyber Center of Excellence & Fort Gordon
COMM: (706) 791-5147
DSN: (312) 780-5147
CW5 Alston Royal
ARNG Liaison to Cyber Proponent
National Guard Bureau
Arlington, VA 22204
Office: (703) 607-9793
Cell: (571) 438-0912