Warrant Officer Prerequisites and Duty Description
131A - Field Artillery Technician
The Field Artillery Warrant Officer advises the Commander and staff on all matters relative to the employment of target acquisition assets and the Army's targeting methodology. Synchronizes and coordinates the Army's targeting process and Joint Fires at all echelons. Plans, organizes, implements, monitors, and evaluates operations, threat environment, maintenance and advice on the technical/tactical employment of Target Acquisition sensors. As company grades Warrant Officers, (WO1 and CW2) 131As may serve as a Target Acquisition Platoon Leader, Targeting Officer in the Counterfire section of the Fires Battalion or a DIVARTY HQ, or as a Field Artillery Intelligence Officer (FAIO) at the BCT HQ. Field grade Warrant Officers (CW3-CW4) serve in a variety of positions. CW3: BCT Targeting Officers, SF Group Targeting Officer, DIVARTY Targeting Officers, Field Artillery Intelligence Officers in Divisions and Corps. CW4: DIV/Corps FAIOs, DIV/Corps Targeting Officers and Targeting Officers in a Battlefield Coordination Detachment (BCD). CW5: serve as Targeting Officers at Corps and echelons above Corps (EAC).
***Applicants must meet all Administrative Requirements to become a Warrant Officer.***
Note: Any waiverable prerequisites not met will require a prerequisite waiver in writing to proponent. Be advised that submitting a prerequisite waiver does not constitute automatic approval. The approval of your waiver is dependent on the overall strength of your packet.
Personnel with 12 or more years’ Time in Service (TIS) must submit an Active Federal Service (AFS) waiver with packet.
- Be a SSG (SGT for National Guard and Army Reserve) or SFC. (Non-waiverable)
- Be an Advance Leadership Course (ALC). (All Phases) (BLC for National Guard and Army Reserve). (Non-waiverable).
- Currently hold MOS 13B, 13J, 13F, 13M, 13R, 13Z, 11C, 11B, 19D, and 19K with 5 years minimum experience in a feeder MOS.
- Have ASVAB base line scores of 110 for Field Artillery (FA) and Technical (ST/TECH).
- Have six (6) semester hours of English composition and three (3) semester hours of Math (“C” grade or higher) from a regionally-accredited academic institution not gained through an evaluation of military education. Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE) can be submitted to satisfy this requirement. If TABE results are submitted, test must indicate a Complete Battery, Level A. 11/12 *Applicant must score an NRS 6 in English, Mathematics, and Language, TABE version 9/10 is still authorized. Applicant must score a 12.9+ or higher in each category.
- Must have two (2) years of documented (through evaluation reports) Section Chief/Squad Leader or higher experience in a feeder MOS. (Non-waiverable)
- The majority of NCOERs must reflect outstanding and exceptional duty performance ratings noted with "Among the Best / Far Exceeded Standard" ratings by the Rater and "Successful/ Superior / Most Qualified / /Highly Qualified (with strong enumeration)" ratings by the Senior Rater.
- Soldiers must be fully deployable, able to meet all physical requirements IAW AR 40-501, be able to take and pass a standard three event APFT (push-ups, sit-ups, and 2-mile run) IAW FM 7-22 or ACFT and meet height/weight standards IAW AR 600-9. (Non-waiverable)
- Have a written endorsement letter (LOR) from an interview with a CW3-CW5. (CW2-CW5 for National Guard and Reserve) Active duty candidates must receive their LOR from a 131A who is currently on active duty. (Non-waiverable)
Preferred qualifications for Active Component:
NOTE: Direct all Warrant Officer Application inquiries to your Regional Warrant Officer Recruiter. Only contact the proponent POC below for questions regarding FA prerequisites qualifications.
Active Duty: CW4 Christopher Shirron
FA Proponent Warrant Officer
Fires Center of Excellence
730 Schimmelpfenig Road, Rm 265, Fort Sill, OK 73503-9016
ARNG POC: CW5 Earnest E. Metcalf
SR FA WO Advisor, ARNG
Fires Center of Excellence
455 McNair Ave., Fort Sill, OK 73503-9016
Last Updated: 31 March 2021