Staff Sgt. Walter Johnson was born in Augusta, Georgia. He graduated from Legend High School in 2012. Upon graduation, Johnson joined the United States Marine Corps and attended boot camp at MCRD, San Diego. After 3.5 years of service as an Amphibious Assault Vehicle Repairman, Johnson transferred to the USMC Shooting team. Johnson served two years as the head coach of the USMC Pistol Team. In April of 2019, after five and a half years in the Marine Corps, Johnson enlisted in the Army and was assigned to the United States Army Marksmanship Unit, as a member of the Service Pistol Team. Johnson is an Instructor/Shooter that competes in the Bullseye and Action Pistol disciplines.
Johnson graduated from: Instructor Development Course, Foreign Weapons Instructor Course, Combat Life Saver, and Basic Leader Course.
His service awards include: Army Commendation Medal, Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal, Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, Army NCO Professional development Ribbon, Army Service Ribbon, and Navy Sea Service Deployment Ribbon.
Competitive Shooting Awards
- Wyoming State Action Pistol Champion
- NRA Action Pistol Wyoming Regional Metallic Champion
- 91A ALC Distinguished Honor Graduate
- Earned Black Hat within two months of being at the AMU
- Bianchi Cup, Metallic Division Silver Medal
- BLC Distinguished Honor Graduate
- BLC Leadership Award Recipient
- NRA World Action Pistol, Metallic Division, Winning team member
- Flagler Cup Metallic Division Gold Medal
- Marine Corps Silver Laucheimer Medal
- Distinguished Pistol badge
- Intercorps Cup winner
- Marine Corps Championship overall Action Match winner
- Marine Corps Championships Gold Rifle Medal
- Marine Corps Championships Gold Pistol Medal
- President’s Hundred Tab (Pistol)