Warrant Officer Prerequisites and Duty Description
740A - Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear (CBRN) Technician
CBRN warrant officers are executive level professionals who provide unmatched technical and tactical expertise and experience throughout the CBRN community at all levels of command. As expert technicians, they are advisors to commanders and staffs on all aspects of CMF 74.
The 740As are capable, credible, trusted professionals who are technically proficient with branch and mission-unique equipment, tools, information and systems, combined arms operations, CBRN technical Force Support, coordination principles, and must possess knowledge of Chemical branch requirements. This knowledge includes practical experience in tactics, combined arms operations and the employment of all CBRN related assets, as well as general knowledge of joint, interagency, intergovernmental, multinational (JIIM) operations and how the Chemical Corps supports each of them. CBRN Warrant Officers manage HAZMAT programs, track technical certifications and coordinate refresher training, leverage advanced knowledge and experience to facilitate CBRN proficiency training, provide unequaled troubleshooting ability to improve CBRN equipment/system readiness, and advise commanders on CBRN collective training and squad/crew team certifications.
***Applicants must meet all Administrative Requirements to become a Warrant Officer.***
- Have the Primary MOS of 74D (Not Waiverable)
- SSG or above (Proponent Waiverable*)
- Graduate of MOS 74D ALC (Proponent Waiverable*)
- Hold MOS 74D with a minimum of 5 years of experience in the MOS. (Note: Recruiter and Drill Sergeant, other non-technical duties are not considered MOS experience) (Proponent Waiverable*)
- Base line score of 100 for the ST (Not Waiverable).
- Must have a minimum of 24 months experience within the following positions (Proponent Waiverable*);
- Squad Leader in a Chemical Squad
- CBRN NCO at battalion level or higher
- Civil Support Team (CST), Team Chief/Reconnaissance NCO (National Guard Only)
- CRT CBRN NCO
- Chemical Reconnaissance Detachment (CRD), Assistant Team Leader/Team Leader
- HAZMAT Certification. All applicants must be HAZMAT Technician certified. A copy of their DoD HAZMAT Technician Certificate issued by the Department of Defense Firefighter Certification System with the attached International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC) seal must be included in their WO application packet. This requirement can be waivered with valid justification.
- NCOERs must reflect outstanding duty performance as a 74D. Outstanding duty performance is considered as follows:
- DA Form 2166-8. Exceeding the standard (Excellence). Rated by the Rater (Part Va) as “Among the Best” with strong Senior Rater comments.
- DA Form 2166-9-1. “Met Standard” in Part IVc-h, with strong Rater comments in Part IVi. “Most Qualified” or “Highly Qualified” with strong Senior Rater comments in Part V.
- DA Form 2166-9-2. Preponderance of “Far Exceeded Standard” or “Exceeded Standard” in Part IVc-i, with strong Rater comments in Part IVj; “Most Qualified” or “Highly Qualified” with strong Senior Rater comments in Part V.
- All – Outstanding performance should be articulated by specific, quantifiable comments by the Rater. Senior Rater potential comments should be clearly quantified and qualified
- Soldiers must be fully deployable, able to meet all physical requirements IAW AR 40-501, be able to take and pass all 3 events of approved APFT IAW FM-21-20, and meet height/weight standards IAW AR 600-9. Exceptions to policies for Alternate Event APFTs for entrance in to Warrant Officer Candidate Program will only be considered for review under extraordinary circumstances (i.e. injuries suffered in combat that prevent a Soldier from taking a 3 event approved APFT.
- Letters of Recommendation:
- Active Component Applicants must have a CW3 or above CBRN Warrant Officer Letter of Recommendation (preferably a CBRN Warrant Officer within the applicant’s unit). If the applicant does not have a CBRN Warrant Officer within his/her organization, please contact proponent.
- National Guard and Army Reserve Applicants must have a CW2 or above CBRN Warrant Officer Letter of Recommendation.
- All Applicants must have of Letters of Recommendation from their Company and Battalion Commander (or equivalent UCMJ Authorities)
- Have 24 months rated time in a supervisory position documented by NCOER's.
- Hold an associate degree or higher from an accredited college or university.
- Diversity in assignments.
***Proponent Waiver requests must be submitted via memorandum with completed packet submission. No more than two proponent pre-requisites waivers will be considered per applicant. Contact proponent POC below to obtain waiver memorandum example.***
NOTE: Applicants packets who are 24 months from their Mandatory Removal Date (MRD) will not be accepted.
Please contact the proponent POC below for any questions regarding qualifications. Address all other inquiries to a Warrant Officer Recruiter.
US Army Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear School
14030 MSCoE Loop, Suite 1314
Fort Leonard Wood, MO 65473
AC - Comm: 573-563-7376
AR - Comm: 573-563-4026
ARNG- Comm: 573-563-5221
Last Updated: 24 September 2020