Warrant Officer Prerequisites and Duty Description
914A - Allied Trades Warrant Officer
Directs the setup, operation, and maintenance of machine tools and welding equipment used to fabricate or repair parts, mechanisms, tools, and machinery. Manages automotive body, frame, and hull repair, painting, glass, radiator, canvas, and woodworking shop operations. Supervises and conducts recovery operations and maintenance of tracked and wheeled recovery equipment. Employs principles of mechanics, metals identification procedures, shop mathematics, and shop layout. Establishes and directs the upkeep of shop, stock, repair parts, and maintenance-related items required per applicable regulations. Manages quality assurance and production control programs to ensure established work standards are met and repairs are made on a timely basis. Establishes training programs to ensure subordinates are qualified in current metal fabrication and machining techniques as well as equipment operation. Coordinates shop activities with other repair shops to ensure equipment is quickly repaired and returned to user. Establishes and conducts a shop safety program per applicable regulations.
1. Must be SGT (E-5) or above.
2. Must have 24 months of experience in the primary OD MOS documented on the NCOERs. Those with less than 48 months of experience must offset the lack of experience with certifications, credentials, technical training, or equivalent civilian experience. See Preferred Qualifications below.
3. ALC Graduate from feeder MOS, OR civilian employment evaluations in a related field, OR transcripts and/or certifications of equivalent training from acceptable institutions or industries. See Preferred Qualifications below.
4. Six semester hours of English, OR combination of three semester hours of English and Communication, OR successfully complete the six Business Grammar Courses in Percipio: Click Here for Percipio Instructions
- Using the Parts of Speech
- Getting the Details Right: Spelling Basics
- Abbreviating, Capitalizing, and Using Numbers
- Using Punctuation Marks
- Creating Well-constructed Sentences
- Troublesome Words and Phrases: Usage Mistakes in Writing
* Percipio Skillsoft courses took affect January 3, 2023. Skillport courses acquired prior to January 3, 2023 will still be accepted until further notice.
5. Physical profile of not less than 111221. Have normal vision correctable to 20/20; normal color discrimination per AR 40-501 (may be waived by USAREC surgeon).
6. Must be fully deployable.
Preferred Qualifications (not limited to):
MOS related credentialing through Credentialing Opportunities In-Line (COOL)
PDSI: S1B Stryker Welding Certification
Certified Welding Inspection (CWI)
American Welding Society welding credentials
National Institute Metalworking Skills machining credentials
Maintenance Manager Course
GCSS-Army (GTRAC) Certifications
GCSS-Army Operator and Managers Course
Support Operations I and II
Technical Course with Professional Education Center
Technical Courses with Sustainment Training Center
Field-Level Maintenance New Equipment Training (FMLMNET)
United Services Military Apprenticeship Program (USMAP)
Original Equipment Manufacturer technical courses
Civilian employment in related field
College credits in Advanced Manufacturing, fabrication, modern welding, body/frame repair, etc. not earned through credentialing programs
Rater’s bullet comments reflecting exceptional performance:
The duties and responsibilities must be feeder MOS related and clearly stated.
The majority of NCOERs must reflect MOS competency, exceptional duty performance with quantifiable technical bullets that support the duties and responsibilities, areas of emphasis, and appointed duties.
Senior Rater comments must be clear in defining NCO MOS competency, ability to lead and perform at a higher level in a stressful demanding environment.
Exceptional promotion potential, i.e. promote now/immediately.
Senior Warrant Officer’s Letter of Recommendation:
LOR must be from a Senior Warrant Officer CW3 or above in CMF 91. The LOR must come from a Senior Warrant Officer within your immediate organization or your chain of command. If a Senior Warrant Officer in not assigned to your immediate organization or higher command:
For Active Component, contact the Personnel Development Officer POCs below to assist with contacting a Senior Warrant Officer holding the feeder MOS to facilitate the required interview.
For Reserve Component, contact the assigned Command Chief Warrant Officer (CCWO) in your chain of command to assist with contacting a Senior Warrant Officer holding the feeder MOS to facilitate the required interview.
For National Guard Component, contact the state WO Strength Manager or Ordnance ARNG Proponent Warrant Officer to assist with contacting a Senior Warrant Officer holding the feeder MOS for the letter of endorsement.
CW3 William Washington Jr.
CW5 Todd A. Good
If you are a member of the Army Reserves and who wishes to apply for position as a Warrant Officer. For more information on the Army Reserve Warrant Officer Accession program please visit: https://stayarmyreserve.army.mil/wo.htm
Army National Guard
CW4 Wayne S. Sexton
If you are a member of the Army National Guard talk to your State, Territory or the District of Columbia Warrant Officer Strength Manager (WOSM) to see if you meet the qualifications and how to complete a Predetermination Packet. For more information on the Army National Guard Warrant Officer Accession program please visit: https://www.nationalguard.com/contact/wosm
Last Updated: 09 January 2023